Monday, September 26, 2005

Obsessions
What are your writing obsessions; what do you find yourself writing over and over again?

I'm obsessed with Love, losing and gaining it,
Love about lovers but also about family, countries,
friends, landscapes, lights, cities;
I'm obsessed with tendons, clavicles, arteries;
I'm obsessed with the things that make us human,
but at the same are just flesh, bones, ligaments;
I'm obsessed with the image of bones clutching skin.
I'm obsessed with trying to capture emotion in words
I'm obsessed with making poetry a science of human emotion;
I'm obsessed with lyrics in music and listening to each
and every word until you think the song is part of your life;
I'm obsessed with passionate people, people with heart
and also people who are quirky, silly, interesting, singular or brilliant;
I'm obsessed with the caribbean sea--with any sea for that matter.
I'm obsessed with writing the perfect poem...
I'm obsessed with hearts, their function, how heavy they are.
I'm obsessed with
My new computer, and how amazing it is.
Becoming a doctor.
Kenneth Koch, and his "The Art of Love"
Kurt Vonnegut Novels,
"Sirens of Titans", "Bluebeard", "Slaughterhouse"
(The list goes on)
The groove at the end of a woman's back.
and the way female hips are designed:
I'm obsessed with the human body, the human form.
(but I can't paint)
I'm obsessed with
--> The lights from east harlem that I can see from my window &
--> The sunrise from the top of the international affairs building;
--> Dreams: can you control them? does that make you self-aware?
--> MIT: Noam Chomsky, OpenCourseWare, Hacks, Marvin Minsky.

--> Drugs: they can keep you up at night, make you study,
nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;make you silly, blow your brain off and make you happy all at once.

--> Nietzsche's "Genealogy of Morals" and Hegel's "Philosophy of History"
--> Charles Bukowski (His poems, his short stories, his life, his novels)
--> buying things on the internet for other people
--> The smoke stacks across the city on the east side: what is their purpose?
--> Breaking into places: the columbia tunnels

I'm obsessed with being on the top of buildings and watching new york from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home